According to Kaiser Health News, few individuals use quality and price data to make choices for their health care.
While there has been a recent push in the public and private sectors to increase health care transparency, the Kaiser Family Foundation poll found that:
- Approximately two-thirds of respondents reported difficulties finding information on hospitals' and physicians' exact prices for treatments or procedures
- Only about 20% of respondents reported seeing price or quality data about doctors, hospitals, or insurers.
- Less than 9% of respondents said they used pricing data when making decisions on health plans;
- About 6% of respondents said they used quality data when making a decision about a doctor, hospital or insurer; and
- 3% of respondents reported using pricing information when making decisions about physicians